[HECnet] VMS question

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Aug 10 07:29:30 PDT 2015

If you have a batch queue running you could run a script that purges the
log files you don't want periodically, something like:

$!
$ on error then goto END
$!
$  msg          = "write SYS$OUTPUT"
$!
$ purgelogfiles_time_delta  = "+06:00:00"
$ purgelogfiles_submit_queue =
F$GETQUI("DISPLAY_JOB","QUEUE_NAME",,"THIS_JOB")
$ if purgelogfiles_submit_queue .eqs. "" then
purgelogfiles_submit_queue= "SYS$BATCH"
$!
$!  Get the current name and location of this procedure so that it can be
$!  checked for the latest version (update if allowed) and resubmitted
to batch.
$!
$ active_procedure      = f$environment("PROCEDURE")
$ submit_procedure      = f$element(0, ";", active_procedure)
$!
$!  Wait 10 seconds for things to settle down and avoid a race
condition.  This
$!  is most effective on clusters where time between nodes may be a
little off.
$!
$ if p1 .nes "" then goto interactive
$!
$ wait 00:00:10
$!
$!  Re-submit this procedure before anything has a chance to go wrong.
$!
$ submit 'submit_procedure' -
         /after="''purgelogfiles_time_delta'" -
         /log -
         /notify -
         /noprint -
         /queue="''purgelogfiles_submit_queue'"
$!
$ interactive:
$!
$ msg "%PURGELOG_FILES-I-UPDATE, purging log files..."
!
$ @usera$:[coms]purgelogfiles.com
$!
$END:
$ msg "%PURGELOGFILES-I-FINISHED, finished purging log files..."
$ set default sys$login
$ exit

Where usera$:[coms]purgelogfiles.com contains something like

$ purge/log/keep=3 sys$manager:*.log

Note the use of the /keep qualifier - this is the number of versions of
the log files you want to keep.

Regards, Mark