[HECnet] Hi...

Jarratt RMA robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 27 05:10:41 PDT 2015

On 27/08/2015, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, after a long absence due to life being what life is sometimes, I'm
> now in my own apartment with my own Broadband line. Alas I'm still on a
> dynamic IP. I wondered if anyone had made any progress with allowing us
> wandering souls to connect to HECnet.
>
> I aim to renew my VMS Hobbyist licenses (hopefully that still works? Did
> it move to VMSsoftware or is HP still doing it?) and get my VAXstation
> up and running as well as a couple of RPi's running an older VAX sim
> with VMS and PDP-11 sim RSX-11M Plus. I may also dabble in using Tru64
> on my Alpha, if I can dig out some bigger disks for it.
>
> Hoping I can get back into DEC as it's about the only esoteric hardware
> I have left these days!
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Mark @ DECtec.info
> twitter.com/DECtecInfo

Welcome back Mark.

Regarding the dynamic IP, one of the main features of the user mode
router I wrote was support for dynamic IP. However, it needs your peer
to use the router really, or implement the same code. I did suggest to
Johnny that he take my DNS code for that purpose, I am not sure if he
did so. However, depending on your ISP, your IP address may not
actually change all that often, mine rarely changes so it is rarely a
problem and I only have to ask Johnny to restart the bridge at his end
in order to be back on HECnet.

If you want to try peering with my router I would be happy to
accommodate, I am in area 5 and could allocate you a segment of node
numbers. Performance won't be great because your traffic would be
coming in and out of my house which is domestic broadband with limited
upload bandwidth, and I do occasionally restart it.

Regards

Rob