[HECnet] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Mark Matlock mark at matlockfamily.com
Tue Dec 29 22:38:16 PST 2015

Johnny,
   I downloaded the new version and did tried the new installation procedure. After the IPGEN I brought my 11/83 up once with the IPAPPL.CMD and it's new TELNET$TERMINALS set to 10 and it created 10 new TTs that worked fine. Then I changed the TELNET$TERMINALS to 4, shut down and rebooted and it brought up 4 and they worked fine.

   Thanks for the continued improvements! By the way I did fine that you need PDP11C V1.2 to compile NTPDATE, PCL, or DHCP from the C source files as there is a small difference in how the V1.1 complier interprets the xx.port assignment. This is NOT a bug, just to say that V1.2 PDP11C is needed just like V2.7 of BP2 if you need the date fields to display 2015 correctly.

Best Regards,
Mark

On Dec 29, 2015, at 8:12 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> John, I've rewritten that part now. It no longer asks for the number of terminals at IPGEN. Instead you have a new logical name, TELNET$TERMINALS, for which you have a prototype in the IPAPPL.NEW file, that you can copy. This logical name now controls how many terminals are created.
>
> Could you (or someone else) test and report if I got anything wrong in the installation procedure?
>
> 	Johnny
>
> On 2015-12-24 03:01, John Forecast wrote:
>> Johnny,
>>    I installed this version of your code and had a problem with
>> TELNETD. Because I had changed the number of supported terminals (from
>> 10 to 4) I got
>>
>> INS -- Length mismatch common block TELCOM
>>
>> while trying to install TELNETD. Looks like you’ll need to rebuild it as
>> part of the install.
>>
>>   John.
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2015, at 11:52 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
>> <mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, about two months since my last announcement, and some
>>> improvements have been done, so I figured I should do another one.
>>>
>>> I've cut a new release of TCP/IP for RSX, and I encourage everyone to
>>> update to this latest release.
>>>
>>> A short list of changes since my last release:
>>>
>>> TCP:
>>> . Performance improvements. TCP timers have been redesigned for better
>>> performance. This gave FTP a performance increase of about 15$.
>>> . TCP negative ACK detection has been improved.
>>> , TCP receive packet handling have been redesigned for better
>>> performance, and better code structure.
>>> . Added guards against data received after FIN.
>>> . Bugfix in SPOOF hostname printouts when filter was cleared.
>>> . Bugfix in tcp timers that could cause a close to take a very
>>> long time to clean up.
>>>
>>> FTP:
>>> . Bugfix in user verification code which could cause program
>>> to crash. This affected ftpd.
>>> . Changed ftp and ftpd to create files without max record length when
>>> dealing with binary files.
>>>
>>> TELNET:
>>> . Added exit handler to telnetd, so that telnetd cannot be aborted
>>> while active sessions exist.
>>>
>>> HTTPD:
>>> . Improved webserver handling of binary files.
>>>
>>> As usual, the distribution is available from:
>>> ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
>>> ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap