[HECnet] SC-40

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Feb 13 13:51:37 PST 2015

On 2015-02-13 14:44, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
Yes, but that   s 8 bits total.   I was referring to 7 bits, no parity, no fixed extra bit like a mark bit.

Right. And as to the question about no devices actually ever using 7 bits, it is still a good thing to test, when you are trying to find patterns. But I don't actually know of any device that actually have been 7 bits pure. But it is one way of testing for possible strange parity issues.

We can go on discussing possible ways of troubleshooting serial ports for quite a while. And I'm happy to do so, if we really want to.

But in the current case, the problem seems to indeed have been grounding problems. So from that point of view, this isn't a problem any more.

	Johnny

	paul