[HECnet] SC-40

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Feb 13 13:55:23 PST 2015

On Feb 13, 2015, at 9:06 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com
<mailto:clemc at ccc.com>> wrote:

I agree, I never saw _/correctly/_ configured systems with anything
less than 8 bits.   7 with parity (8 total) as Paul said,
was pretty standard. particularly on modems.     Early UNIX tty drivers
used to assume it and pretty much always AND 0x7F with the input
character.

Not only that, but some (BSD 2.9?) put out text with 0x80 ORed into the
output stream, which messes up modern terminal emulators.

It's still there in 2.11BSD, until the last (unofficial) patch set I sent out a few years ago which removed it.