[HECnet] Number of nodes online a bit low?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 23:54:49 PST 2015

From: Steve Davidson <steve at davidson.net>

Is your "lab" in your dining room?

That's where all the 20A outlets are!   (For hot plates etc. I guess, but
also good for soldering irons and twist-lock adapters within reason.)

What? Don't all houses have lots of 3-phase 16A 410V? :-)
(OK, so I did pick mine with a twisted mind, but sadly I then moved to another country and all my computers in Sweden are just sitting there powered off..)

        Johnny

I am lucky, when we rented the house we are in, I asked and got permission from the landlord to run 3 30A 120V lines to the basement.   Each line (at the time) had 1 APC 3000 UPS attached and these powered (at various times) my collection of Alphas, Integrities and one MicroVAX and their attendant storage.   Heat during the summer ended up being my main enemy.   In the winter I just opened up a window and let the cool air in.   In the summer I needed a window A/C unit in the basement right next to the system racks.   This pushed my summer power bill up to the $800/mo range so reluctantly, I shut most down and now only run them when I have a chance.