[HECnet] VMS FTP server?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 7 16:46:06 PST 2015

On 2015-01-08 01:32, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I think I could get one up and running on GORVAX pretty quickly - what
exactly are you looking for with regard to inspiration?

Right now I've implemented the LIST command, but the directory output
format is sortof hackish. I'm thinking that maybe VMS have some nice format
that I can copy. There might be other tings I can get inspiration from
eventually as well, but LIST is the immediate interest.

The MultiNet FTP Server moves files between similarly capable FTP Clients and keeps the File Attributes consistent while copying data (i.e. You can simply ftp RMS Indexed files between VMS systems and the results will be immediately usable).

I know I read some manual about the DEC TCPIP package ftp server and client also managing this. It would, in fact, be nice to be compatible with that. However, atleast when storing or retreiving files from Unix systems, what DEC did is that they actually transfer two files. One with the data, and a separate one with the file metadata. Ugly, I think, and I would like to try and avoid that.
But that is a client only thing, as far as I can see. Anyone know how VMS does it if talking to another VMS system?
I suspect I might have a hard time if they do it by detecting that the remote server is a VMS system, since I will not lie about that. :-)