[HECnet] Assigned areas and unassigned areas

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jun 15 05:56:56 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-15 14:10, Lee Gleason wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Johnny Billquist Sent: Sunday, June 14,
> 2015 9:18 PM To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE Subject: Re: [HECnet] Assigned
> areas and unassigned areas

>>> Unfortunately, the 11/05 will not ever be able to run my TCP/IP.
>>
>>    True.  It's a bit, erm, limited.
>>
>>> However, the 11/55 could possibly stand a chance.
>>
>>    Huh?  Doesn't RSX11M-Plus require more than 18 bits' worth of RAM, and
>> doesn't your IP stack require -Plus?
>
>> Yes on the second question, and sortof maybe not on the first one.
>> Officially M+ requires 22-bit addressing, but it can be generated for
>> 18-bit systems. But I have never tried it to see how it fares...
>
>> Johnny
>
>   I've heard reports it tends to leave you a little tight on pool.

I wouldn't expect pool to be a problem. Pool is really limited by
totally different parameters, and in fact, I would think that an 11/55
might have plenty of pool. An 11/24 on the other hand is totally staved
on pool, even if you have 4M in the machine... (And that is a supported
machine.) The key is split I/D space.

However, the 11/55 might be short on memory in general... The GEN
partition might not hold enough to make the system that usable. Lots of
swapping possibly.