[HECnet] Vaxstation 4000-60 dead...

Jarratt RMA robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 22 12:44:41 PDT 2015

First thing is going to be to get the PSU out of the machine and connected to a
dummy load. Then check whether the PSU is outputting anything, check each
voltage as it might be only one of the outputs that is not working. It might not
even be the PSU that is the problem, but if fans are not running then I suppose
the PSU is the main suspect. You could check all this without disconnecting it
from the machine, depending on whether you are worried it might damage the
machine further if you try to switch it on. It really could be anything at this
point though, perhaps just a fuse, bad electrolytic capacitors, a blown chopper
transistor or goodness knows what else. You have to go through a process of
elimination....

Regards

Rob