[HECnet] Vaxstation 4000-60 dead...

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 12:45:04 PDT 2015

One issue I had was a dry solder joint on one of the transformer connections to the PSU circuit board - given the weight of the transformer this is definitely worth checking.

The switch for VAXstation 4000/60 & 4000/90 PSUs (they are the same physical unit although they have different part codes IIRC) is a 'soft switch' so power is applied to the input stage of the power supply as soon as the cable is plugged in. I'm not sure whether that is significant although part of me thinks that this is more likely to cause a breakdown of the high frequency mains filtering capacitors if the machine has been left plugged in, even if switched off.

Just my 2€ worth...

Sent from my iPad