[HECnet] HECnet .HLP library for OpenVMS

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Thu Sep 10 11:32:49 PDT 2015

!!! Example HECnet info markup document
!!! Lines beginning with three bangs are comments
!!! Any whitspace outside SECTSTART...SECTEND is ignored
!!! All text should be in a SECT
!!! Text inside SECTs is considered preformatted

|||TITLE|HILANT:: VAXcluster
|||DATE|1-JAN-2015
|||VERSION|0.01
|||AUTHOR|Sampsa Laine
|||AUTHOR_MAIL11|HILANT::SAMPSA
|||AUTHER_SMTP|sampsa at mac.com

!!! Where this documnet is stored on HECnet
|||DOC_LOC|HILANT::[INFO]HILAINFO.MRK

|||SECTSTART
          #    # # #        ##   #    #  #####
          #    # # #       #  #  ##   #    #
          ###### # #      #    # # #  #    #
          #    # # #      ###### #  # #    #
          #    # # #      #    # #   ##    #
          #    # # ###### #    # #    #    #

Welcome to the HILANT VAX Cluster, part of the SAMPSACOM, .FI section.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
No guest accounts at the moment, but if you log in as ACCTREQ
you can apply for a full one.

For the more active accounts you can interact with, look in
Active Accounts here or KAHUNA$:[INFO]ACCOUNTS.TXT
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
List of quite active accounts on HILANT::

SAMPSA      Sampsa Laine, owner, admin
DAVIDSON    Steve Davidson, co-conspirator, admin
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Mail can be sent to HECnet users directly using the <NODE>::<USER>
syntax I'm sure you are all familiar with.

To send mail to the internet, route it via the CHIMPYMAIL gateway,
using this syntax:

	LEGATO::smtp%"joe.user at example.com"

Please note that some providers (notably Apple and Hotmail/Windows Live)
do not accept this as a valid address. Gmail does however.

Your inbound address is:

	<username>@hilant.decnet.org

For information on how to forward your mail, see the Forwarding
subsection.

See KAHUNA$:[INFO]ACCOUNTS.TXT for the most active accounts, usually
admins who can help you.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
You can forward your mail by using MAIL's SET FORWARD command.

To stop forwarding mail, issue the SET NOFORWARD command in MAIL.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Forwarding to HECnet
--------------------

Simply use the <NODE>::<USER> scheme, e.g.

	MAIL> SET FORWARD CHIMPY::FOOBAR
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Forwarding to the Internet
--------------------------

To forward you mail to the Internet, use the CHIMPYMAIL gateway.

For example, to forward your mail to joe at example.com do:

	MAIL> SET FORWARD LEGATO::smtp%"joe.user at example.com"
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
- KUHAVX (boot node, SIMH, ~12 VUPS, 128 MB)
- LABVAX (app node, SIMH, ~15 VUPS, 512 MB RAM)
- SIIKAX (app node, SIMH, ~20 VUPS, 512 MB RAM)
- HPIVAX (Raspbery PI SIMH, ~1.6 VUPS, 128 MB RAM)
- GIFTVX, SIIRI - real MicroVAX 3400s, ~2 VUPS, 20 MBs of RAM
- K4VX1 real VAXstation 4000/90, ~22 VUPS, 32 MBs of RAM
- K4VX2 real VAXstation 4000/60, ~12 VUPS, 24 MBs of RAM

See Performance here or KAHUNA$:[INFO]PERFORMANCE.TXT for details.

Real hardware courtesy of Saku Setala
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Introduction
============

I _KNOW_ that VUPS is useless to measure any platform other than VAXes,
but thought it might give some relative guidance to how slow emulated
Alphas are compared to real ones.

The main point here is that if you need some heavy VAX work done,
use LABVAX (or if you just need CPU and very little RAM, K4VX1/2).

If you need some Alpha work done, use CHIMPY - it has far more stuff
on it than QAMAR anyway.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Results
=======

VAXes
=====

GIFTVX, SIIRI 			~2 VUPS
HPIVAX				~1.6 VUPS
KUHAVX,LABVAX			~27 VUPS
SIIKAX				~20 VUPS
K4VX1		        	~23 VUPS
K4VX2				~12 VUPS (note the low RAM however)

Alphas
======
QAMAR				~34 VUPS
CHIMPY				230 VUPS

Itanics
=======
RHESUS				~300 VUPS
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
We have a bunch of stuff installed, including a pretty full set of VAX
development tools. See Compilers and Applications as well as
KAHUNA$:[INFO]COMPILERS.TXT and KAHUNA$:[INFO]APPS.TXT for details.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Uhhh, like, this section is not done yet.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
VAX Development Tools on HILANET

Compilers
---------
BASIC     039
BLISS32   047
CC        064
COBOL     057
CXX       056
PASCAL    058
FORTRAN   066

|||SECTSTART
Other tools
-----------
DECSET    124
VAX/RSX   025   (Only on LABVAX:: and SIIKAX::)
KEDNOSPLI 038

Mail us at HILANT::SYSTEM or sampsa at mac.com if you'd like to see something
added to these.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
KUHAVX is the boot server and serves out most disks, including paging.
KUHAVX serves out a large-ish bound volume (~13 GB) called KAHUNA$
LABVAX also serves out an 80 GB bound volume called WHALE$

Most users will have their home directories on either WHALE$ or KAHUNA$
so no need to worry about disk space per se.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
LABVAX:: and SIIKAX:: are by far the most powerful nodes with 512 MBs of
RAM and about 26 / 20 VUPS respectively.

If you need to compile something huge etc, do it on SIIKAX or LABVAX.

K4VX1:: and K4VX2:: are also quite fast (~22/~12 VUPS) but only have 32 and 24
MBs of RAM respectively.

KUHAVX:: is the boot node, so try to run your heavier jobs on the faster nodes.

HPIVAX:: is one of those "Because it can be done" systems, a Raspberry
Pi running SIMH VAX on Debian.

GIFTVX:: and SIIRI:: are there for authenticity, not very powerful but
fun nonetheless.

See KAHUNA$:[INFO]PERFORMANCE.TXT for more details.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Please see KAHUNA$:[INFO]PERFORMANCE.TXT to get an idea where to submit
your job - we recommend LABVAX or SIIKAX.

If you want to submit a job to another cluster member, the following
queues have been set up:
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
General batch queues:

  SYS$BATCH_LABVAX$ on LABVAX::
  SYS$BATCH_SIIKAX$ on SIIKAX::
  SYS$BATCH_GIFTVX$ on GIFTVX::
  SYS$BATCH_HPIVAX$ on HPIVAX::
  SYS$BATCH_K4VX1$ on K4VX1::
  SYS$BATCH_K4VX2$ on K4VX2::
  SYS$BATCH_KUHAVX$ on KUHAVX::

|||SECTSTART
Build queues:

  SYS$BUILD_LABVAX$ on LABVAX::
  SYS$BUILD_SIIKAX$ on SIIKAX::
  SYS$BATCH_SIIRI$ on SIIRI::
  SYS$BUILD_GIFTVX$ on GIFTVX::
  SYS$BUILD_HPIVAX$ on HPIVAX::
  SYS$BUILD_K4VX1$ on K4VX1::
  SYS$BUILD_K4VX2$ on K4VX2::
  SYS$BUILD_KUHAVX$ on KUHAVX::
  SYS$BUILD_SIIRI$ on SIIRI::
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
General rule of thumb to network use:

	Please try to behave.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
  All the nodes are connected to HECnet over DECNET and have direct
  access to all other nodes on it.

|||SECTSTART
  KUHAVX is running MULTINET so has full Internet access.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
  LAT is running on most nodes - you should not need to use it
  as pretty much everything is running DECNET, with the exception
  of PYFFLE where CTERM borks for some reason.

  If you want to access PYFFLE (my awesome Waffle clone) either
  type PYFFLE at a DCL prompt or do SET HOST/LAT PYFFLE.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
   ***WARNING - SERIOUSLY, DON'T MESS WITH THESE:  ****

   DO NOT TOUCH SERVICES CALLED *CON - these are OPA0
   consoles for various hardware (password protected
   of course).

   ***END OF FASCIST WARNING MESSAGE               ****
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
  We have C-Kermit 8.0.211 installed - this is a very flexible
  way to transmit and receive files from HILANT and HECnet.

  In fact the writer uses it as his default method of connecting
  from his OS X boxes as it even supports Telnet.
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
QAMAR:: is an emulated AlphaServer ES40 with one 500 MHz CPU
and 512 MB RAM. It's running on a Core 2 Duo T9900/3.07 GHz Win7
host so whilst not blisteringly fast, it works.

There are default proxies setup between QAMAR:: and the cluster
so you have FAL access to your home directories etc on both.

SOLAR5:: is another emulated AlphaServer - this is used for
Arcsight log collection, no accounts will be created on this
box.

With this in mind, we suggest CHIMPY:: (SAMPSACOM / LONDON)
for any serious Alpha work.

Email KUHAVX::SAMPSA for an account on QAMAR::/SHAMS:: if you
feel the need..
|||SECTEND

|||SECTSTART
Look in KAHUNA$:[INFO], we will try to place any useful documentation
there.

If you have any questions, mail them to KUHAVX::SAMPSA or sampsa at mac.com