[HECnet] Announcement

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Sep 22 20:37:47 PDT 2015

  Some of you are aware that I've been pursuing a long-term project of
constructing a museum in the Pittsburgh area.

  I am proud to announce that we have hit a major milestone: We have
set a date for the first public opening.  The Large Scale Systems
Museum will open its doors to the public on Saturday, October 17th,
just under one month from now.

  This is to be a one-day provisional opening coinciding with an event
here in town.  We may decide to open the museum regularly on a sparse
schedule afterward, or it may wait awhile, depending on how things go
on the 17th.  The renovation work is ongoing, so it won't be perfect,
but we think it'll be good.  A great deal of progress has been made
here in the past several months.

  Many of the Really Big Computers here will be running and
demonstrated on a rotation throughout the day.

  The event in town is a large "block party" of sorts that will
encompass much of the downtown area.  A few highlights:

  - A fancy department store that was located on this block decades
ago will re-open in their old store location to show off vintage
wedding gowns, and some people who purchased their gowns there in the
past will bring them back to show them off.

  - A local winery will set up a wine tasting.

  - A soldering workshop.

  - A makerspace pop-up.

  - A beer garden!

  - The standard fare of food vendors, live bands, etc.

  There are two other "Big Deal" tie-ins that I'd like to announce:

  Big Deal #1: Many of you will remember my fiancee Autumn, who sold
handmade vintage-computer-themed soaps at the most recent VCF-East.
Her company, Apothecary Soap Company, will be opening its first store,
here in town around the corner from our main building.

  Big Deal #2: While the details aren't yet finalized, C/PMuseum in
downtown Pittsburgh, curated by Corey Little and Chris Little, will be
relocating many of its exhibits, including some vintage game consoles,
to a temporary exhibit space just a few buildings down from mine.
Since C/PMuseum's primary focus is on microcomputers and the Large
Scale Systems Museum's primary focus is on minicomputers and
mainframes, so together we'll have great coverage of a range of genres.

  My building is at 924 4th Avenue, New Kensington, PA 15068, right in
the middle of the block party area.  New Kensington is about ten
minutes' drive from the Allegheny Valley exit of the Pennsylvania
Turnpike, Exit 48.  It's a very easy area to reach, and there are a
number of decent hotels nearby.

  I wish to extend an invitation to all of you to attend this event.
It's on Saturday, October 17th, from noon to 8PM.

  Please feel free to forward this message to anyone whom you think
might be interested.

                 Thanks,
                 -Dave

- --