[HECnet] Multinet SMTP mail delivery via gmail

Fred fcoffey at misernet.net
Sun Apr 3 11:29:08 PDT 2016

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016, Mark Wickens wrote:

> SMTP emails. I'd like to do that by using google mail as a forwarding service
> - does anyone have the necessary configuration information I'd require?
>
> I'd also like to be able to receive emails direct to the box, but this is a
> secondary requirement. I do have a linux server available running ubuntu that
> could act as a forwarding service if that's an easier setup.

I would use Linux/your ubuntu box as a central mail "hub" and let all the
VMS systems (running Multinet) email through that.  Set up authentication
on the linux box if you wish, but I do not do that here (but I also don't
run a public access VMS site).  You can not only make your VMS systems
send "through" the linux box, but mail received by the linux box for
(openvms.yourdomain.com) can be silently relayed to the VMS box - that's
how I do it here.  Just set up an MX entry for openvms.yourdomain.com to
be your linux host, set up postfix transport maps and it handles the rest
for incoming.  For outbound relay, just set up postfix to allow the IP of
your VMS system to relay through your host.

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

... would be a good start along with the manual pages for transport(5).

Fred