[HECnet] OT Cisco question

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue Feb 9 10:44:22 PST 2016

You would be hard pressed to find a Cisco router that doesn’t route, so that opens your options up pretty nicely .:)

I’m a huge fan of the ISR line as they tend to be cheap and have quite nice features.

The big question is what routing bandwidth do you need.

If you just want to route between DSL and LAN then just about any router will do as DSL speeds are low enough.

If you want to route between LAN segments you will have to be pickier about what models you are willing to consider.

As an example, the 1800 series routers (like the ones I’ll be sending to Steve and Cory [and you Ian, I promise to finally send that one!]) route about 70k PPS and 35mbit/sec.

The 2851 I have at home that sits on the edge of my network can route 220K PPS and 112Mbit/sec.

I do all my inter-LAN routing on my switch (3560G) which in comparison can do 38.7M PPS (with a 32Gbit/sec switch fabric)

This is a great resource for trying to figure out what routers can do: http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf <http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf>

The additional benefit of having a cisco on the edge is that cisco can route DECnet natively and you can join the GRE tunnel setup. :)

Please feel free to ask any and all questions!

-brian