[HECnet] OT Cisco question

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Tue Feb 9 10:52:47 PST 2016

On 10/02/2016 2:44 AM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> The additional benefit of having a cisco on the edge is that cisco can
> route DECnet natively and you can join the GRE tunnel setup. :)

Just to add to this...

I have a Cisco 1841 on the edge with a HWIC for handling the DSL side of
things.  It of course natively routed DECnet so all my tunnels come into it.

However, prior to this I used to have a Cisco 857 on the edge and a
DECbrouter 90T2a (really a Cisco router for a DEChub 90) behind it.  The
Cisco 857 will not do DECnet as it is one of the little IP-only "SOHO"
routers.  That did not prevent the DECbrouter from establishing tunnels
through the NAT provided by the 857 though.

As Brian says, feel free to ask more questions, there are plenty Cisco
nerds here :-)

Regards, Tim.