[HECnet] VMS, linux and Hec/DEC net

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Feb 11 06:47:36 PST 2016

On 2016-02-11 00:44, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Unfortunately, DECnet for Linux is no longer maintained, as of maybe a
> year ago.  It still mostly works, but you'd be better off setting up an
> earlier release of Linux to run it on.  I believe the DECnet stack
> itself has stopped working due to kernel interface changes in the past
> year or so.  LAT, however, still works great.

For some definition of great... Please do not try to use the llogin
program against RSX. The Linux/Unix LAT code is violating the LAT
protocol in some way, and that in turn triggers a memory leak in the RSX
LAT code, so you will not be happy after a while. Sessions get dropped
at random points, and at some point in time, you'll run out of memory in
the LAT process in RSX.

I have not tried to examine exactly what the code is doing wrong, and I
have also not tried finding the bug in the RSX LAT code.