[HECnet] DECNET for RT-11?

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 08:09:39 PST 2016

John Wilson wrote:
> From: Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com>
>> Does anyone know where one could acquire DECNET for RT-11?
> A list member has it, or has said so in the past anyway, but at
> this point I'm thinking maybe they don't want to give it out?
> I've always wanted to try it too.  My understanding is that it's
> from pre-Ethernet days so it requires a DMR-11 or DMC-11 (or
> emulation thereof).
>
> Re TCP/IP for RT-11 -- what's wrong with Alan Baldwin's package?
> I haven't gone to shop-pdp.kent.edu in eons and don't know if it's
> still around (the domain name still exists but at least right now
> I can ping it but not connect any other way), but I was very
> impressed with it.
>
> John Wilson
> D Bit
I tested out the DECnet RT on my PDT11/150 when I worked for DEC.
It was just 2400 baud serial link DECnet into the office Vax and Easynet
since I had no sync modem at home to connect with.  Worked fairly well
although
I think Kermit was faster at bulk file transfers.

Set host from the RT11 to the VAX was fun.

Bill

-- Digital had it then. Don't you wish you could buy it now!
pechter-at-gmail.com http://xkcd.com/705/