[HECnet] Network topology according to MIM.

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jan 15 07:14:21 PST 2016

On 2016-01-15 15:49, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> Let me give you the same example I just gave Peter in a private mail.
>
>    The problem with your example is that you have one area (1 in your case) that has more than one area router AND all of them have external links.  Worse, some of those multiple area routers for area 1 have links to the same external machine.  The problem is just a badly thought out network topology.  If area 1 had only one gateway to the external world, then all would be well.
>
>    Now you're going to tell me "yes, but I don't want to do it that way".  That's fine, but like I said - the problem isn't with the technology.

Having multiple area routers, by the way, is not something odd. It's
called redundancy. And also, there is nothing saying that all area
routers need to be connected to the same other nodes.

But as soon as you do have two area routers, even if they have different
external connections, you will once more get asymmetrical setups.
Really. I can easily give you examples of that as well.