[HECnet] Network topology according to MIM.

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jan 15 08:05:10 PST 2016

On 2016-01-15 15:49, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> Let me give you the same example I just gave Peter in a private mail.
>
>    The problem with your example is that you have one area (1 in your case) that has more than one area router AND all of them have external links.  Worse, some of those multiple area routers for area 1 have links to the same external machine.  The problem is just a badly thought out network topology.  If area 1 had only one gateway to the external world, then all would be well.
>
>    Now you're going to tell me "yes, but I don't want to do it that way".  That's fine, but like I said - the problem isn't with the technology.

Another point I just realized I'd like to make:
Having the setup I described will give better performance than if you
turn off one link. While the utilization will not be optimal, both links
will be used, which everyone (I would hope) would agree is better than
just having one link to use. It also reduces the loads on individual
area routers. All wins, in addition to the redundancy.

As it is, yes, HECnet is not used for anything serious (I think), but I
really appreciate seeing it up, reachable and mostly working. The whole
point of HECnet, for me, is having a large, live DECnet. I certainly use
it a lot every day personally, but I don't know about other people. And
most of my use is inside area 1 anyway.

Starting to turn off links just because you want a star topology, so
that you have symmetrical links seems like something I'm not going to
endorse. :-)