[HECnet] DECnet over IP

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Wed Jan 20 07:17:34 PST 2016

>Not sure how you meant the two lines above to be read. How could a passive
> connection use the same port as a passive one?

  I think you misspoke and used the word "passive" twice in error, right?

  For active connections, the /PORT is the port number to connect to on the remote end.  The local port number is moot and is assigned dynamically.

  For passive connections, the /PORT is the port number to listen to on the local host.

  QED - you can have as many outgoing active connections as you like, and exactly one incoming connection all on the same port.  But if you have more than one listener on the local host, then they have to listen to unique ports.

Bob