[HECnet] DECnet over IP

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 20 08:08:54 PST 2016

On 2016-01-20 17:00, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> Even random IP addresses, or just random ports?
>
>    Passive connections don't care about the incoming port or IP.  In fact, Fred and I accidentally proved this a couple of times when my ISP changed my IP.  As long as I had Fred's correct IP on my active end, Fred's passive end didn't care what my IP was.

Ok. That would confirm it then. But I suspect it do check for UDP
traffic, as it needs to map the packets to the right circuit.

>    BTW, if exploited properly, that property could come in handy for people with dynamic IPs.

You still have the problem on the originating side...
Anyway, I realized that for my implementation, I can actually do any
already.
If I create a tcp socket under RSX, I can leave either host or port at
zero, to allow anything, or set it more explicitly. And the tool I wrote
to configure the multinet tunnels allows me to also set this, so I can
put it at any level I want to on the RSX side...

>    And along those same lines, for /TCP=LISTEN circuits, the /REMOTE=ip modifier is ignored.

Follows from above, I guess.

>> you can set passwords on circuits.
>
>    Well, that might work with TCP circuits then.  That'd at least give you some simple password authentication.  I suspect DECnet sends passwords in clear text, though, so it'd be only trivially secure.

Of course it will be in clear text. :-)

>    As for DDoS attacks on my DECnet port, it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over....

I'm not going to loose any sleep either. It just seems a bit silly when
you can specify all that info, but it is not actually used, and there is
no way we'll get rid of annoying crachers on the internet anyway.

I have about 500 telnet connections per day to Mim, with people trying
to log in as root, ftp, anonymous, apache, and god knows what else. That
is, if their script isn't clever enough to wait for a "user:" prompt, in
which case they are connecting and then nothing happens, and they
disconnect about 20s later.

And then we have all the http requests for wordpress and I don't know
what. The logs on Mim are actually quite funny to read.

Who would have known an RSX system could cause that much fun (for me)
and confusion (for others) on the Internet...