[HECnet] DECnet over IP

Wed Jan 20 12:30:43 PST 2016

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
> >SSH to the VAX is just painful (imo)...
>
>   I don’t have any problems once I’m logged in, but the initial key verification takes forever on a VAX.  On an 800Mhz Alpha it only takes a second.

That makes sense, there are bignum operations going on at that point.  You could improve matters a bit, at the expense of somewhat reduced security (at least against three letter agencies) by reducing the public key size.  512 bits is pretty decent, though no longer considered strong enough for serious work.

	paul