[HECnet] Circuit costs (again!)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jan 25 11:01:08 PST 2016

On 2016-01-25 19:56, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> The host running the bridge is not, in my view, any different than any router,
>
>    Yeah, but my router is in the garage and I can configure it as I need.  Psilo is a router that I have no influence over PLUS it's on the other side of the planet.  Those are not the same in my mind.

In all fairness, you have no control over most of the internet. :-)
Including just about all the hops when you are using a Multinet tunnel
as well.

>    But to be fair, I don't even use the bridge and now that you have TCP/IP tunneling for RSX I can't imagine that I'd ever need to.  So as the saying goes, "I don't have a horse in this race."  I drop all my requirements.

A valid point. That said, I've noticed that the link to LEHATO isn't
exactly what I'd call stable. Want to move over to TCP? I suspect it's a
simple case of the occasional packet being dropped, and Multinet links
over UDP just do not deal will with that situation. Meaning, at the
moment, the link between MIM and LEGATO is probably a bit sucky, and if
someone decided to try transferring a larger file over it, chances are
that it will fail repeatedly.