[HECnet] New system online

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jul 7 14:12:53 PDT 2016

There is no one good place for all of this.

Someone could certainly create a site if they wanted to. The problem is
keeping it up to date. Information goes stale, and some machines come
and go.

I don't have any good solution except people putting some manual work
in. Automated systems are also difficult.

Apart from that, people occasionally announce their services on this
list. However, sometimes its more a wish to provide a service than
actually having a service that people are looking for.

All this said, MIM, as people probably know, are where I keep the HECnet
nodename database. It's actually done in Datatrieve, and the nodename
database in DECnet on MIM is generated from this Datatrieve source. The
web service also use Datatrieve as the backend.

In addition to the nodename database, MIM also hosts the BQTCP package
for RSX, along with KERMIT-11 for RSX, NEMA, and as much RSX
documentation as I have managed to lay my hands on (well, there are
still a few manuals that I have not made available, but I'm working on
that). And of course, MIM is also available to log into for random
people, either through the guest account, or by requesting an account of
their own.

I have pretty much all DECUS tapes on MIM, and should try to make it
more easily accessible some day, and I'm starting to consider if I
should make the RSX layered software tapes that I have available as
well, but I still feel a bit uncomfortable on that one.

	Johnny