[HECnet] Future problems?

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Fri Jul 15 10:49:28 PDT 2016

> Isn't the documentation wrong, since it says 2621?

... copy/paste/transcription error on my part.  The file clearly
says 2021.  Copied sort of by hand from a .pdf file...

> Either way, I believe this field was expanded to be interpreted as
> unsigned later than your code and documentation, meaning it will work a
> while longer. However, I doubt that the TOPS-10 code have been updated
> for that. Something for you to do?

As I said, the text indicates that the (monitor) code stops working in
2021, but the code does in fact allow one more bit, no change needed here.

The thing to wonder about is a piece of (ehum) software called NML.

Written in the wonderful language BLISS.  (sarcasm)

> There is a similar issue with FAL, where the date field was also
> extended to be unsigned. RSX only got these updated in 1999 in the code.
> I'm sure VMS also have this. But for other OSes, I have no idea.

Time for some experimentation.

> 	Johnny

--Johnny