[HECnet] Future problems?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 15 06:57:11 PDT 2016

On 2016-07-15 10:49, Johnny Eriksson wrote:
>> Either way, I believe this field was expanded to be interpreted as
>> unsigned later than your code and documentation, meaning it will work a
>> while longer. However, I doubt that the TOPS-10 code have been updated
>> for that. Something for you to do?
>
> As I said, the text indicates that the (monitor) code stops working in
> 2021, but the code does in fact allow one more bit, no change needed here.
>
> The thing to wonder about is a piece of (ehum) software called NML.

Trying to figure out if there are any time information in NML. Maybe I'm
missing what you mean by NML here. Network Management? For which the
protocol is called NICE?

> Written in the wonderful language BLISS.  (sarcasm)

I'm not sure I think it's all that bad... But Ive not done extensive
work in it. But reading through it, after a while you adjust, and then
it works for me.

>> There is a similar issue with FAL, where the date field was also
>> extended to be unsigned. RSX only got these updated in 1999 in the code.
>> I'm sure VMS also have this. But for other OSes, I have no idea.
>
> Time for some experimentation.

There always is. Let me know if you want some assistance.
By the way, I'm going up to Stockholm next week. Vacation time, so I'll
be there a few weeks. We should sync up...