[HECnet] VMS 5.4 backup

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 29 01:57:00 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-29 10:50, Hans Vlems wrote:
> With tapes you'd better get the data off the media and to a disk.

I think that is what Peter is doing... :-)

> First off, clean the tape heads!

Always a good suggestion.

> - try a straight forward copy: this may fail for several reasons depending on what tape you have.
> - use backup to perform the copy
>  $ backup mua0:*.* ‎dua4:[savesets]/log
> Should that fail, try to mount the tape foreign and use copy. If VMS complains then SET RMS may be useful.

Not sure what the point was here. The actual reading from the tape runs
through the save device driver in all three cases, so any tape error
handling will be the same. However, backup might have additional
recovery heuristics to deal with possible read errors. Copying the file
to disk will most likely defeat any recovery ability in backup, so I
don't really see much gain in doing that. If the tape can be read, all
the methods work equally well. If the tape can't be read, copying will
possibly loose more information than using backup, but in either case,
and unrecoverable error that would prevent any further operation will
act the same with all methods.

So, back to Peter's question - I don't know the answer. Is there a way
to tell backup to stop at errors instead of continuing? (I guess I could
fire up a VMS system, and read help pages, but I'm sure there are people
here who already have this available and can check things up.)

	Johnny