[HECnet] Botnet hits on 23/tcp

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Oct 25 09:50:28 PDT 2016

On 2016-10-25 17:50, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> I'd try a non-default port first and see how you get on.
>
>   I'd second that, and I also wouldn't open a TELNET port on the Internet for anything.  Multinet has a perfectly good ssh implementation and I've been running an open port for that, on a non-standard port number, with no problems at all.

While I certainly think that it does good for your nerves, I really
consider that to just be security through obscurity. Alternate ports is
not really any protection. But it do reduce the noise.

I can understand people who don't like telnet. Cleartext passwords
certainly are not fun.
However, I'm not about to implement ssh for RSX quite yet... So telnet
it is. :-)