[HECnet] Botnet hits on 23/tcp

Fred fcoffey at misernet.net
Tue Oct 25 09:54:20 PDT 2016

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> While I certainly think that it does good for your nerves, I really consider
> that to just be security through obscurity. Alternate ports is not really any
> protection. But it do reduce the noise.
>
> I can understand people who don't like telnet. Cleartext passwords certainly
> are not fun.
> However, I'm not about to implement ssh for RSX quite yet... So telnet it is.
> :-)

After I noticed quite a few attempts on SYSTEM on MISER:: I now have two
passwords set.  The scripts seemed to be confused by the second password
prompt, and intrusion detection gets them long before ... so they don't
even know if they are guessing wrong/right/indifferent.

I am still thinking about turning off telnet though ... I occasionally use
it as a back door in case I lock myself out of my main ssh system. (which
with the protections I have on there I have accidentally done it to myself
once or thrice.  :)

Fred