[HECnet] HECnet mail gateway...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Apr 10 12:04:17 PDT 2017

At home now, and can answer this a little more in depth.

On 2017-04-10 12:25, tony at blews.co.uk wrote:
>> Tested a little on vms. I've changed the code to rewrite from with quotes
>> so that vms mail can understand it.
>>
>> Try now.
>
> I get this reply:
>
> From:   MIM::
> To:     TARDIS::SYSTEM
> CC:
> Subj:   Undelivered mail
>
> This is MIM::POSTMASTER. I'm sorry, but I could not deliver your mail.
>
> An error occured while trying to send it, and I cannot recover.
>
> Actual error is Address error.
>
> Additional information: 5.1.2 RFC-5321 address. m203si7390587lfm.109 - gsmtp

That line was truncated. Fixed that one.

However, like I said, Google is refusing mails with a source address
that don't pass various rules they have, which is in violation of RFC
5321. And the silly think is that the error Google gives refers to RFC
5321 as a reason why they are refusing.

As the source address should be used when reporting any problems back, I
cannot really fake it either, without potentially loosing more
information. I'm going to try and ping people at Google, but I do not
have very high hopes of this being resolved. So the answer might just be
that Google is broken, and you should avoid it.

> The original mail is attached below.
>
> (it isn't)

It should have been. Have been all the time I tested. Strange. Are you sure?

> Meanwhile, I've got TARDIS receiving its mail as
> blah at tardis.recondite-computers.co.uk fine but I'm banging my head against
> a wall with outgoing mail. on all machines. Google won't play nice, neith
> will my ISP or my VPS.
> But that is another story.

Many ISPs won't let you talk SMTP yourself, but you are expected to use
their mailer as a relay. Might that be what you are seeing?