[HECnet] Intro and New User Questions

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Dec 23 09:08:14 PST 2017

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 10:23, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>  I have one of those IEC boards as well.  It's a dual GPIB controller.
> I don't have a cab kit for it, though.  I haven't tried to find the
> pinout.  I do lots of stuff with GPIB here, both vintage and current,
> and would love to do some of that with a Unibus PDP-11, both in the
> museum and here for my own fun.

Sorry it took me a while to reply. Last couple of days have been a roller coaster!

I don't have a cable kit, either. I don't recall if I've found any documentation for it yet, either, and I have no clue about what software to even start looking for to support it. Maybe it'll turn into a functional GPIBish adapter, and maybe it'll remain an irregular rectangle of unrealized potential.

>  It's good to see you here, by the way.  I had a very crazy week last
> week and was unable to participate in the earlier thread, but if you
> want to connect via a GRE tunnel (Cisco), I can help with that.  Either
> way, though, welcome.  I have many systems (real iron) that are up on
> HECnet 24/7, and several of the systems at the museum are online when
> they're brought up for tours.

Thanks for the offer! I don't know anything about Cisco stuff or GRE tunnels yet. Would I need to buy some old used Cisco box to do this, or is there some open-source thing I could cobble together? Would it still work over my dodgy cell modem connection with no fixed IP address and no exposed incoming ports (I hope!) at my router?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/