[HECnet] Intro and New User Questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 21 10:23:04 PST 2017

On 12/21/2017 01:14 PM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>>  The notion of a DECnet-connected, PDP-11-based remote data acquisition
>> system is something that I find quite...well, honestly...arousing.
>
> I find this similarly kinky. I'd love to have some data acquisition capability in my future PDP-11/44 restoration project. One of Unibus boards I have in my stack claims to be an an IEC bus adapter, i.e. early GPIB. Hmm, for that matter, I wonder if my VAX-11/730 might grow a Unibus expansion cage and some data acquisition hardware?

  That sounds seriously tasty.

  I have one of those IEC boards as well.  It's a dual GPIB controller.
I don't have a cab kit for it, though.  I haven't tried to find the
pinout.  I do lots of stuff with GPIB here, both vintage and current,
and would love to do some of that with a Unibus PDP-11, both in the
museum and here for my own fun.

  It's good to see you here, by the way.  I had a very crazy week last
week and was unable to participate in the earlier thread, but if you
want to connect via a GRE tunnel (Cisco), I can help with that.  Either
way, though, welcome.  I have many systems (real iron) that are up on
HECnet 24/7, and several of the systems at the museum are online when
they're brought up for tours.