[HECnet] DECmate II and OS/278...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Jul 8 08:31:23 PDT 2017

Ah! Teledisk images.
Basically, that's a proprietary format which is intended to be able to
restore the disk including the low level format. It's a bit difficult to
deal with if you are not using Teledisk. I know I have a tool somewhere
that can extract the actual data from such an image, which is what would
be more useful when you are writing it on an actual RX50 drive. I
believe I found it somewhere on the internet many moons ago, but
hopefully others have it too.

In addition, RX50 drives in general only accept preformatted media, and
RX50 low level format is unlike any other disk format, so you either
need real RX50 floppies, or else some machine that is able to format
RX50 floppies. Of DEC equipment, only the Rainbow were actually able to
format RX50. Generic PCs can sometimes do it, if you have the right type
of controller and drive, and appropriate floppies. But success with that
have been a bit random when I've read about it. But I suspect it's your
best chance, since getting genuine RX50 floppies nowadays is even harder.

	Johnny