[HECnet] Thrashing about...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jul 16 13:36:11 PDT 2018

On 2018-07-16 19:38, Clem Cole wrote:

>   Pascal
> language definitely had a fast following and DEC marketing picked up on
> that invested and in it for the 32 and 36 bit systems [the 16 bit
> compiler was from OMSI/Oregon Software, not our friends in ZKO].

Uh. No... DEC had their own PDP-11 Pascal, different from the OMSI one.
I have both around here. I don't know who/where the PDP-11 Pascal was
DEC, at some point, stopped developing PDP-11 Pascal, though.
Speculation on my side, but I wonder if the OMSI Pascal was just so much
better than the DEC Pascal that DEC just decided to stop developing it.

Last version of PDP-11 Pascal is V1.3, released 1989. And it bears a
strong resemblance and compatibility with VMS Pascal, and is rather far
from OMSI. Not to mention there is not mention of anything related to
OMSI in any files, but copyright notices going back to 1981 from Digital
Equipment.