[HECnet] Thrashing about...

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Jul 16 13:53:31 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> Last version of PDP-11 Pascal is V1.3, released 1989. And it bears a
> strong resemblance and compatibility with VMS Pascal

​I believe you, I was not certainly not following it in those days, I'll
ask Leslie what the scoop was. I believe she was still managing TLG then,
if not she certainly knows who was.

As Paul K said, the other languages were not hard, but it was they had a
couple of issues, the big one being address space.  The other was the
different runtimes, and that was expensive and then there was just the
tools.  Paul W loves to tell the stories about moving the VMS linkers to
Ultrix to support the Fortran compiler.    TLG had to cross compiled
(originally from the 10 then larger the Vax), but it was not the prettiest
development environment.

I always give Rich Grove and that team credit, with Gem, they had X
front-ends, and Y back ends, running Z different OSses, with architectures
from 16-64 bits and including parallel code generators.  I still do not
know of a compiler suite that has lived as well.

To quote Rich, the Intel compilers, have the DEC Gem dna ground up and
slowly re-injected over the years.   A number of us have wondered, if the
Gem had not been in BLISS, if Intel would have had the guts to keep them
and not stay with their own when those folks joined.
ᐧ