[HECnet] KLH10 not idling host CPU

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Sun Mar 4 19:55:02 PST 2018

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 00:03:08 -0800, Mark Abene wrote:

> I've been using KLH10 with the tap patches for years and years, and idling
> has always worked fine. At some point over the recent couple of years,
> idling stopped working for me on linux (I run ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS with
> latest updates as of yesterday, on a 64-bit intel machine). My CPU is stuck
> at 100% utilization, without even starting an emulated OS (I run TOPS-20).
> In fact, as soon as I type "GO" in KLH10 and before doing anything else,
> the CPU immediately shoots to 100%. Is anyone else seeing this? In older
> versions of ubuntu/linux this didn't happen.

Probably your problem is twofold. Idling in KLH10 is based on the guest OS
accessing a specific virtual device, so you have to use a patched TOPS-20
monitor which actually accesses such device. Same goes for TOPS-10. Are you
sure you are (still) using the right monitor? Then, if it skyrockets up to
100% as soon as you start the emulator, the problem might be in the Linux
kernel too (in addition to the monitor problem). As a start, ensure that
you're actually using a patched monitor and that the special device is both
defined in the .ini file and actually loaded by the emulator :)

HTH,
G.