[HECnet] Multinet IPv6 DNS lookup Induced Delay

dwe-6006 at philtest.org dwe-6006 at philtest.org
Wed May 9 18:34:28 PDT 2018

I have seen this elsewhere but I see no reference to a fix to  the problem
on Multinet. I have a  Multinet SSHD agent running and when I attempt to do
a connection the connection does succeed but it can take 90 seconds. I put a
Sniffer on the line and the SSHD agent is attempting to do reverse DNS
lookup on the incoming address. This is normal, but it is doing 6 IPv6
resolution attempts (3 to each of the 2 DNS servers) before it makes the
first IPv4 request. I do not have IPv6 configured on the interface (or any
interface) and I need to find a way to suppress all IPv6 DNS queries( PTR or
AAAA) is here a magic incantation or a logical name that makes this happen?

Dave