[HECnet] Multinet connection in UK

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 4 06:54:48 PST 2018

On 2018-11-04 14:59, supratim sanyal wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
>
> Great, I will mark port 60004 as allocated to you.
>
> One reason for TCP is it does not require Johnny to go change the IP
> address on his end every time a residential ISP IP address changes.

Which is not maybe that relevant in a link between you two... The VMS
Multinet do not appear to be as flexible in configuring peers, so you
might need to restart if addresses change anyway. But yes, for the RSX
Multinet-compatible links, the active end can change IP address without
me having to do anything on my side. TCP also have the advantage to
better handle if packets might be dropped, which can be an issue over
long haul links, as well as better match what these Multinet links
pretend to be to DECnet, which are DDCMP links. But the VMS
implementation seems to be cheating in several ways, making it look
funny at times, so it might not matter much from that point.

Also, TCP is easier if you have firewalls or NAT. UDP can also be made
to work, but is usually a little more complicated here.

> Does “MCR NCP COPY KNOWN NODES FROM MIM TO BOTH” not work to copy over
> node db from MIM?

It should work for him, once he have MIM defined.

> I also run a neat command file by Steve Davidson that I found somewhere
> (maybe on MIM or STRGTE) which I am attaching – it runs on SYS$BATCH and
> updates local node db automatically. The .XCOMX extension should be
> .COM, psilobyte rejects .COM file attachments.

I could also mention that I have an automated system that sends mails
when I update the nodename database, in case anyone would want such a
thing. If you are creative, you set things up so that script is run
automatically when such a mail is received.

   Johnny