[HECnet] Multics online as node 1.770 (BANAI)

Jeffrey H. Johnson jhj at trnsz.com
Thu Sep 6 18:34:09 PDT 2018

I don't have it available just yet - but I do plan to release it all eventually, and hopefully there will be no changes necessary in the FNP code by the time of the release.

Charles Anthony has been extremely supportive of all the FNP changes, often rewriting my lame hacks into proper code and even implementing planned ideas before I even get a chance to get home and write a single line of code. I'm very grateful to be able to work with such talented and dedicate people. I hope to eventually take over the FNP code and relieve him of some burden. Eric Swenson, who manages the Multics release process, is equally dedicated, enthusiastic, and brilliant.

Right now BAN is running on a fork of the V1.0 code, and the Multics system we run has various patches (all of which will be part of MR12.6g+) as well as a massive local effort of tuning and configuration differences from a "stock" cold booted system to support its unique configuration.

The upcoming release of the simulation code has already diverged greatly from the V1.0 code and my forked code. Because everything is in such flux right now, I am often discouraged from starting large projects or making big changes (in a hackish way) I know all the work will need to be redone or reworked for a proper solution in the near future - however, everything is going upstream.

I'll contact you directly once I have a cleaner setup so we can get some extra testing.

--
Jeffrey H. Johnson
jhj at trnsz.com
https://ban.ai/multics