[HECnet] Multics online as node 1.770 (BANAI)

Jeffrey H. Johnson jhj at trnsz.com
Fri Sep 7 14:03:03 PDT 2018

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 1:00 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 6, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Jeffrey H. Johnson <jhj at trnsz.com> wrote:
>>
>> [snip] virtual hobbyist Telenet/Tymnet-like PSN network for X.25 systems. [snip]
>
> X.25 is basically a datalink layer (HDLC with some tweaks).  What would such a virtual network look like?  I figure something like tunneling X.25 semantics over TCP, or something along those lines.  Or sending approximate X.25 PDUs over UDP, the way the SIMH DDCMP implementation does for that data link.

My idea was a little lower level, hoping to use emulated serial links (tunneled over TCP links and thus error free) to create point-to-point connections in a way that would be compatible with Dynamips, so I could leverage the Cisco IOS X.25 support for the DCE (provider) side of the network.

There are other options too, but right now it's still just an idea in the planning stage.

I'd need to figure out the legal aspects here, and if I'd run afoul of the authorities if I were to run a virtual router in the cloud if I owned the original hardware, etc.