[HECnet] PSTHRU object 123

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Apr 3 06:29:41 PDT 2019

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 2:54 AM, G. <gerry77 at mail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone, :)
>
> 	while doing some housekeeping in one of my VMS systems I just came
> across the PSTHRU.EXE DECnet tool for VAX which I downloaded from some place
> I could not remember anymore, maybe some freeware collection.
>
> PSTHRU.EXE implements DECnet PMR (Poor's Man Routing), ...
> $ SET HOST GATEWY::OTHRGW::HIDDEN::
>
> With the exception of FAL and MAIL, whenever DECnet finds that a connection
> string to some remote network object contains a list of nodes rather than
> just one, it redirects that connection request to object 123 on the leftmost
> node of the list.

I had in my memory that it used object 63.  Thanks.  My goal is to reverse engineer this protocol at some point and create a new implementation.  If sources for it turn up (for any OS) that would help a lot.  It can't be very much code.

FAL doesn't explicitly do PMR at all; instead it "just works" provided the intermediate nodes are VMS, because of transparent network access in RMS32.

	paul