[HECnet] DAP

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 13:38:30 PST 2019

I have been fixing some issues with the file access listening (FAL)
under Tops-20.  Briefly, it would crash on listing extremely large
directories and return incorrect byte sizes and counts for files under
certain circumstances.  It also did not support anonymous access as is
currently used in HECnet (blank user name).  There were other issues.

It's been a bit of a slog, the first two issues taking a considerable
amount of time to solve.  However, they're fixed and I've got some
prototype anonymous code running.  I would say that I am about 1 to 2
months away from an alpha test; the configurable restriction parsing is
nearly done, hooks remain to be into DAP functions and deployment
documentation to be written.

Questions:

 1. My own version of FAL appears quite dated; it only has edits to
    Tops-20 V6.1 (1985), whereas the last monitor distributions were in
    the 7 series.
      * Does anybody have any source files later than that for Tops-20?
 2. What is the last version of DAP (any platform) for which a
    specification exists?
 3. The implementing DAP module (DAPLIB) appears even older, apparently
    dating to V6.0, 1981 time-frame (which seems incorrect).  It
    supports DAP 5.6, for which I have the specifications.
      * It does /not/ support $RENAME (ACCFUNC 3), which I found
        remarkable.  Is $RENAME supported on all other platforms?
      * I note that ACCFUNC 5 is reserved.  Is this used now?
      * Is ACCFUNC 0 used?  For what?
      * Is any ACCFUNC later than 8 defined?  What is the first free one?

The reason I ask the last is that some of the logic is largely table
driven, based on ACCFUNC.  This suggests modeling the restriction
parsing and implementation in a similar way (I.E., off of ACCFUNC),
which would be quite straightforward.  However, I want to be sure I
understand those numbers.

         --T