[HECnet] DAP

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Tue Dec 10 00:33:52 PST 2019

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 16:38:30 -0500, Thomas DeBellis wrote:

>  1. My own version of FAL appears quite dated; it only has edits to
>     Tops-20 V6.1 (1985), whereas the last monitor distributions were in
>     the 7 series.
>       * Does anybody have any source files later than that for Tops-20?

As far as I know, the latest DAPLIB.MAC is the following, and the same
directory contains a full set of updated DECnet-20 source files, although
you probably already know/have them:

http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/CFS_TSU04_19910205_1of1/02/update/decsrc/daplib.mac.html

>  3. The implementing DAP module (DAPLIB) appears even older, apparently
>     dating to V6.0, 1981 time-frame (which seems incorrect).  It
>     supports DAP 5.6, for which I have the specifications.
>       * It does /not/ support $RENAME (ACCFUNC 3), which I found
>         remarkable.  Is $RENAME supported on all other platforms?
>       * I note that ACCFUNC 5 is reserved.  Is this used now?
>       * Is ACCFUNC 0 used?  For what?
>       * Is any ACCFUNC later than 8 defined?  What is the first free one?

According to some VMS V7.2 DECnet source files I have access to, the
following are the only defined access functions available. Number 5 was
still defined as reserved:

  ASSUME  DAP$K_OPEN EQ 1
  ASSUME  DAP$K_CREATE EQ 2
  ASSUME  DAP$K_RENAME EQ 3
  ASSUME  DAP$K_ERASE EQ 4
  ASSUME  DAP$K_DIR_LIST EQ 6
  ASSUME  DAP$K_SUBMIT EQ 7
  ASSUME  DAP$K_EXECUTE EQ 8

>From what I can understand, DAP V6.0 introduced some minor tweaks, e.g.
backup date and time in the DAP date and time message. Apparently, DAP V7.0
introduced some more acknowledge messages, stream file support, and above
all (at last) the rename function:

  ;++
  ; This routine performs the DAP RENAME file function.
  ;--

  FAL$RENAME::                            ; Entry point
          BBS     #DAP$V_GEQ_V70,(R9),10$ ; Exit if partner does not support
          BRW     FAL$UNS_ACCFUNC         ;  DAP V7.0
          .
          .
          .

Hope this helps, :)