[HECnet] DAP

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 15:34:18 PST 2019

Yes, that is the version of DAP that I have.  Actually my DAP is a
little later in that a Y2K problem was fixed.  This was a non-DEC
change, so I don't know if it ever made it into sources.

That little snippet of code below is /quite/ interesting. It would
appear that the VMS DAP will not allow a rename unless the partner
claims DAP V7.   That's counter-intuitive, because what is supposed to
happen is that mutually supported capabilities are derived from the
config message.  Since Tops-20 does not report SY$REN it will not be
reported and a rename will thus (supposedly) never be requested.

So even if I implement it, VMS won't use it unless I decide to lie about
my DAP version.  That's not the worst thing in the world, there were a
number work-arounds in Tops-20 to address certain limitations of the DAP
implementation of the time.  One assumes these would have been fixed.

What is the difference in practice between functions 7 (SUBMIT) and 8
(EXECUTE)?  In both cases, Tops-20 submits the file as a Batch job to
Galaxy, this being the only way to construct the proper user context.