[HECnet] Tops-20 ANONYMOUS FAL Preliminary Testing Results/DAP Query

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Dec 21 02:02:15 PST 2019

On 2019-12-21 02:58, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
>  1. The client that does the ls is gnuemacs ange-ftp mode; which was
>     quite shocking.

Aha. Thanks. I have never tested that one. I always find even the mode
extremely annoying...

>  2. Trivial Virtual File System (TVFS) is the RFC that specifies a
>     common syntax, essentially codifying Unix syntax.  That's
>     unfortunate because when you blow away most of the punctuation, you
>     limit your search abilities.

Thanks. Yes, TVFS was what I was trying to remember. Yes, it is
annoying, and some clients goes and dies immediately if they don't get
information in that silly format. I implemented it for RSX, and trigger
it when a client does a "cwd /", since most such clients also does that
first of all.

> "fun"?  Dear me...  Actually, what really drove me crazy was TENEX paged
> file structures; I was months getting that right.

That sounds way too complicated. I don't think any specific feature or
detail in my RSX servers ever have taken more than a day or two to
implement. But I do feel that some things are silly.
But I should also admit that I've only implemented things I felt I
needed, so I've skipped some stuff which supposedly is mandatory. Noone
complained (yet).