[HECnet] Tops-20 ANONYMOUS FAL Preliminary Testing Results/DAP Query

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 10:01:42 PST 2019

/A bit of things snipped./

I don't believe I've ever heard of Multos; I was using OS/8 and TSS-8 in
the early 70's before I got access to a PDP-10, which was felt to have a
more powerful and interesting instruction set.  It certainly floored
some of my PDP-8 friends.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the total number of operating
systems across the board was amazing.  For the PDP-10, there was
Tops-10, ITS, Tops-20 (TENEX) and WAITS (off the top of my head).  But
the minicomputers were something else altogether. Wow.  I help managed
the CS lab at my undergraduate college, where we had a PDP-11/05 and an
11/45 (with a GT40).  It seemed to me that every time I turned around, I
was tripping over another operating system for one of them.

We had an RK05 with an early version of Unix (circa 1977).  It was
looked at and summarily dismissed as "Interesting; needs to get
finished".  We stuck with RT11 and RSX because they had more
functionality, were faster and used less resources.  Little did we
know...  Now, unless you are on an IBM mainframe, it seems you pretty
much get your choice of Windows or Unix.  I've programmed iOS (under
Swift) and deep down, well, you know.   Eye popping graphics, though.
We never had that.  And pretty much infinite memory.

None the less, there can be a lot of great ideas that come up when
you're doing something something from scratch and this is particularly
evident in the realm of file system syntax.  I continue to believe that
DEC:'s grammar and built-in parsing is superior to anything you can get
on Unix, where all of that is tossed out the window and you get "/".
Windows, which will allow you to specify a device (but not wildcard it)
is only marginally better.

I'm reminded of a talk that Rob Pike gave at the turn of the millennium,
"Systems Software Research is Irrelevant".  I don't agree with
everything he says because I do follow some of the research, but still,
it's grim reading.  What I've found is that you can get some good ideas
by seeing what other people where doing whose backs were up against the
wall and what they thought they'd never be able to do (based on the
hardware restrictions).

That's surprising about no BLISS on the PDP-8.  On my first day at DEC
as a Tops-20 programmer, we got stuck into a BLISS COMMON class and
received the corporate indoctrination.   Then we went on to design the
File Finder project in MACRO.  BLISS did get used, particularly when
something got tossed at us from another platform.   But I can't remember
what major package was written in it.  Algol wasn't.  There is a new
part of Galaxy that I have yet to fathom called "FTS" that is written in
BLISS.  I don't understand the EXEC interface to it; perhaps there is a
monitor interface.

Has anybody heard of it?