[HECnet] Tops-20 ANONYMOUS FAL Preliminary Testing Results/DAP Query

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Mon Dec 23 11:24:48 PST 2019

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 11:21 PM, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Indeed; but there was a time when the PDP-11's 16 bit (64K) address space and eight register file seemed positively generous.  That's when you compare it to the PDP-8's single accumulator and 12 bit (4K) address space.
>
> I continue to be astounded what they managed to do with that.  In addition to a nice package of languages, with a memory management unit (essentially a bank switcher), they got the thing to timeshare.  That's right; TSS-8.  There's one still running at the Computer History Museum on an 8/I.
>
> So they got DECnet running on the PDP-8?  Wow.  I wonder how they did that; whether they re-targeted a BLISS compiler to emit PAL.  I remember looking at the source to PDP-8 VT (video) TECO.  Many awe most inspiring kludges.  What a tour de force.  Very humbling.

That was implemented on RTS-8 and looks like a Phase I implementation - all hand-crafted PAL code. The floppies are available on the net and includes full source code. When I joined the DECnet development group in early 1977, there were a couple of PDP-8 developers as part of the group. I don’t know if they were developing a Phase II implementation but they disappeared after about 6 months - not surprising given the difficulties we were having getting it to fit in a 28KW PDP-11.

  John.