[HECnet] One more for the Cisco GRE mesh: Seeking Tunnel End-Points

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Feb 26 13:22:11 PST 2019

Supratim, you are stumbling into a slight issue when doing this.

DECnet routing is kindof stupid. When a node in one area wants to talk
to a node in another area, the only thing it does is figure out how to
get to that area. And that just means find the lowest cost path to any
node in that area. And here it where it gets silly.

Until a couple of days ago, CTAKAH:: had the same cost for all circuits.
That resulted in CTAKAH choosing IMPVAX for all communication to area 1.
So even though CTAKAH and MIM have a direct circuit between them,
packets from CTAKAH (in Russia) and MIM (in Sweden) were travelling over
New York.

CTAKAH have now dropped the cost for the circuits to MIM to a little
lower, meaning it will prefer this link. But that also means that even
through CTAKAH and IMPVAX have a direct connection, all packets from
CTAKAH to IMPVAX will pass over MIM.

In essence, this is how DECnet works, and you cannot get around this.
When multiple connections to a different area exists, it is going to be
suboptimal. The one thing would could do to improve things a bit would
be to move you to an area of your own. Then both links would become
useful for more than redundancy backup.

   Johnny