[HECnet] One more for the Cisco GRE mesh: Seeking Tunnel End-Points

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Feb 26 14:23:39 PST 2019

Supratim...

On 2019-02-26 23:05, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> Thanks Johnny for taking the time to write and explain (instead of
> saying "go read DECnet manuals"). So, basically, CTAKAH cannot decide to
> use one path for 1.13 and another one for 1.559 since they are both area 1.

CTAKAH don't even care about where 1.13 is. CTAKAH knows it is not in
area 1, so it tries to find the cheapest path to area 1. It is not
looking at the node number, or anything beyond the area routing at that
point. In short, if you need to go to another area, the only thing
DECnet does is try to find the cheapest path to that area.
And in the case of ties, it takes the node with the highest number, and
1.599 is a higher number than 1.13, even if your end destination is
1.13, it would pick 1.599.

> Got it, no easy way out other than move my bunch to a new area. Please
> assign me an area. It will take me a while, though, to move across all
> the toys.

Right. Allocated area 31 for you. Go ahead and start moving things over.
Let me know when you want me to update the nodename database.

> BTW, interestingly, MIM has also decided that IMPVAX is the way to reach
> area 12 (Tim in Perth, Australia), despite Tim having 3 or more other
> direct GRE tunnels to other area routers. Is this because IMPVAX happens
> to be in the same area as MIM (unlike his other tunnels)?

No. It just happens to be the cheapest path to area 12. MIM is an area
router, so it has the full picture of all other area routers, and it can
figure out the cheapest way to get to area 12, which is through IMPVAX.
With IMPVAX, it becomes the cost to get to IMPVAX, which carries a cost
of 4 at MIM, and then at IMPVAX, the next hop is IMPRTR on QNA-1. That
hop has a cost of 4 as well. What the cost of the link between IMPRTR
and area 12 is I don't know, but this has a cost of 8+N, whatever that N
is. Any other path to area 12 from MIM will likely go through several
hosts as well, as I do not have any direct connection to area 12. And
other places then have higher costs in the end for the whole path from MIM.

   Johnny