[HECnet] DECnet Implementation and Productization of RSX-11M, 11S, 11D and IAS (was Re: Anonymous FAL (Tops-20))

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Tue Jul 16 14:38:33 PDT 2019

> On Jul 16, 2019, at 2:46 PM, John Wilson <wilson at dbit.com> wrote:
>
> From: John Forecast <john at forecast.name>
> [E11 on MIM]
>> Does the simulator actually simulate the caches or just the control registers
>> like SIMH?
>
> Just the control registers.  I hate doing an emulation of a speed-up
> feature which actually slows it down (which is the case with the FASTBUS:
> emulation for dual PDP-11/45s but there was no way around that -- making
> the memory inherently mP-safe meant dinking with locks on every access,
> so it's *much* slower to touch it than non-"FAST" core).

I suspected that was the case, but I just wanted to check. I wanted to run a comparison test
between cache bypass on for all CEX code and selectively flushing the cache at strategic points through
the code. What we ended up with was ~11/45 performance for the kernel code and ~n * 11/70
performance for the application level code. Since there were only a couple of mP machine left (our dual
and the RSX-11M+ quad), it wasn’t worth the extra work.

  John.